Vol. Fire Department
Volunteers...Making Professional Decisions
PO BOX 153 Slidell TX 76267
The most current burn ban information and regulations can be found on the Wise County websiteand/or s website.
The rules and regulations for outdoor burning can be found on the s website.
BURN BAN INFORMATION
· Burn Ban Issued September 16, 2013
· Historically, Wise County has averaged thirteen (13) Red Flag days per year. Red Flag Warnings are issued when fire condition become so extreme, that any wildfire is predicted to be beyond the control of the initial responding fire department.
· To determine if there is a Red Flag Warning, please visit the National Weather Service website http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/firebrief3.php,or call the Wise County Sheriff’s Office at 940-627-5971. To report a burn ban violation, simply dial 9-1-1.
· Anytime you engage in outdoor burning, we ask that that you call the Sheriff’s Office at 940-627-5971 and log the burn. This will help 9-1-1 dispatchers determine whether to send the fire department if a fire is reported at your address.
· Citizens should understand that it may be illegal, and unsafe, to engage in outdoor burning even when a Red Flag Warning has not been issued. All outdoor burning must comply with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules, and incorporated cities may have ordinances that you must comply with. To view TCEQ rules go to http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/legal/rules/rules/pdflib/111b.pdf
· Complaints about outdoor burning should be filed with TCEQ by calling 817-588-5800 (ask for an Open Burning Investigator), or online at http://www2.tceq.texas.gov/oce/complaints/
· Citizens should understand the following liabilities when engaging in outdoor burning:
o Violation of a Burn Ban Order can result in a fine up to $500.
o Violation of TCEQ rules may result in one (1) year in jail and a fine up to $4,000.
o A fire that damages property belonging to another (e.g. a grass fire that crosses a property line) can result in a fine up to $500, and court ordered restitution.
o Outdoor burning that results in death, injury, or damages a building belonging to another may result in two (2) years in state jail, a fine up to $10,000 and court ordered restitution.
o A court may find that you have additional criminal and civil liability.
Burn Ban information provided from the Wise County website.